10 Tips for a Successful Daddy-Daughter Date
- Have fun–leave your cares behind and just focus on your daughter
- As much as possible keep that smart phone put away. Don’t try to talk to your daughter and text, answer e-mail, or surf the Web at the same time.
- Really listen to your daughter. Don’t be too quick to give your opinion or “fix” her issues. Seek to understand her more than to be understood.
- Don’t be afraid to redo or scrap a date that isn’t working. As you know, with kids there are moods involved and different personalities. If you’ve had an awesome time, though, try that date again and again!
- BE YOU! You don’t have to pretend to love shopping at the mall. And she doesn’t have to be thrilled about a football game. If the focus is on your time with each other rather than the “entertainment,” it’s all good.
- Don’t be overly task-oriented. The goal is to connect with your daughter, not get through every detail in the book.
- You’ll get more comfortable with all the material and dates the more you do them.
- Set a goal to learn something new about your daughter every time you go out together.
- Before you go out on your dates, pray that God will prepare both your hearts for the conversations you’ll have and the memories you’ll create.
- Build anticipation. Let your daughter know ahead of time that you’re excited about spending time with her. Let her know it’s a big deal to you.
10 Things Your Daughter Needs from You
- Point her to Jesus–help her build her life on solid ground.
- Unconditional love–let her know you’ll love her no matter what.
- Prayers–for her emotional, physical, and spiritual growth and protection.
- Love her mom—if you love, respect, and cherish your wife, your daughter will learn what it means to be loved.
- Affection–hugs from her dad are important!
- Faithfulness—she needs you to be the one man in her life she can depend on completely.
- Affirmation—give her praise, kudos, way-to-go’s, high fives, pats on the back. Did I mention your daughter needs you to affirm her?
- Memories—give her special experiences with you that she’ll remember for a lifetime.
- Character–your integrity, honesty, courage, and kindness will show her what a good man really is.
- Leadership—be a man that protects and guides your family well.
10 Great Daddy-Daughter Songs
Dad to Dad: For a special gift, burn a CD of these or other great daddy-daughter songs. You can listen to them in the car on your dates or play them in her room when you tuck her in at night.
- Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman
- Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle
- Fathers and Daughters by Paul Simon
- Dancin’ on Daddy’s Shoes by Leon Redbone
- Stealing Cinderella by Chuck Wicks
- I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack or Ronan Keating
- Do I Make You Proud by Taylor Hicks
- Daddy’s Little Girl by Kippi Brannon
- My Little Girl by Tim Mcgraw
- I Loved Her First by Heartland
15 Great Games to Play Together
- Guess Who?
- Rory’s Story Cubes
- The Scrambled States of America
- Uno Attack